Email archive migration – consider the costs, but focus on the financial benefits
In our last blog we looked at how you can remain secure and compliant on the journey to the Cloud and Microsoft 365. In this blog we’ll look at the financial implications and benefits of migrating your email archive.
Large-scale email archive migrations incur costs in the following areas:
- Extraction costs – If you currently use a third-party provider to store your email archive, there will almost certainly be a cost to extract your data in bulk. Before any migration we recommend you check your contract for any lock-in clauses then talk to us as we may be able to help you mitigate some of these costs.
- Penalty charges – You may have received a discount for signing up to your archiving software for longer than a 12-month period. If you want to move before the end of this period, you may incur a penalty charge. Once again, if this is the case talk to us as we may be able to help you mitigate some of this charge.
- Migration costs – These are likely to consist of tooling costs and/or professional services costs.
Whilst there are costs to migrate your data, the move to Microsoft 365 will bring financial benefits long into the future that will far outweigh the short-term costs of the move. Couple these with the other benefits of moving to the Cloud such as improved business resilience, access anywhere and enhanced collaboration and you will quickly benefit from a return on your investment.
Financial benefits of migrating your email archive:
- When you migrate your email archive, you’ll save significant costs because you will no longer have to maintain a separate archive solution. Not only will this save the associated license, infrastructure and maintenance costs, you’ll also no longer have the cost of keeping your team trained up on a separate archive system.
- By centralising all your email and archive data in one platform such as Microsoft 365, the cost of data administration will reduce.
- With the Cloud, you only pay for what you use, so you’ll no longer require capital investment purchases to cover the cost of servers and other associated hardware. You can focus on growing your business safe in the knowledge your cost base can flex with your requirements.
- There are also significant financial gains with the increased business resilience of moving to the Cloud. It means your workforce can work and collaborate from anywhere reducing building and travel costs. The increased security capability and ease of eDiscovery of Microsoft 365 also means you reduce any financial risk from potential litigation or security issues.
If you’re considering moving your email archives to the Cloud, contact us today. We will be happy to discuss your business requirements and design a Managed Migration Solution that meets your needs – enabling you to quickly reap the financial benefits of working in Microsoft 365.