20 astonishing stats about business communications
Ninety-seven percent of employees believe communication has an impact on tasks performed every day. The introduction of flexible working and bring your own device (BYOD) policies means that connecting and communicating with colleagues is more critical now than ever before.
However, many organisations fail to consider the way these communication channels collect and store sensitive data, all of which must be compliant and secure.
Here are 20 facts about business communications, and why you should act now to make sure they’re compliant.
1. Every day, 205.6 billion emails are sent across the globe.
2. Only one third of emails are actually opened.
3. Nine out of ten UK organisations don’t encrypt more than 75 percent of their cloud data.
4. Companies with highly engaged employees can improve operating income by 19.2 percent over a 12-month period.
5. Around a quarter of employees think email is a major productivity killer.
6. 78 percent of people who text wish they could have a text conversation with a business.
7. 81 percent of millennials think ‘state of the art technology’ is paramount to an ideal working environment over perks or amenities.
8. 26 percent of people feel pressured to respond to work communication outside of work hours.
9. 85 percent of employees use more than one device to communicate at work.
10. 39 percent cite that the compromise of sensitive data is the biggest risk to cyberattack, according to a PwC survey.
11. 44 percent of employees want a wider adoption of internal communication tools.
12. According to a study performed by Watson Wyatt, businesses with effective communication practices were more than 50 percent more likely to report employee turnover levels below the industry average.
13. The cumulative cost per-worker per-year due to productivity losses resulting from communications barriers is £19,666.
15. 49 percent of millennials support social tools for workplace collaboration.
16. Productivity improves by up to 25 percent in organisations with connected employees.
17. 60 percent of internal communications professionals do not measure internal communications.
18. 74 percent of all online adults prefer email as their main method of commercial communication.
19. 28 percent reported poor communication as the primary cause of failing to deliver a project within its original time frame, according to a survey by the Computing Technology Industry Association.
20. Communication tools like Office 365 can save up to 30 minutes of lost productivity per day, according to Forrester.
Get your communications compliant with a trusted partner
With the introduction of the new General Data Protection Regulation on the horizon, it’s important that your business ensures its applications are in-line with new compliance policies.
We’ve outlined some best practices for compliance across Office 365, but communication inside organisations extends further than just one application. Employees are now using personal devices and private social accounts for work, and as a result, data management is challenging.
At Bluesource, we’re on a mission to remove IT complexity and enable companies to keep a core focus on their strengths. We’re a Microsoft Gold Partner that designs, builds and runs outstanding IT systems that keep companies compliant and competitive, letting you focus on what’s important: driving revenue and business growth.
To find out more, contact us here.